HVAC technicians are in a specialized profession that is in-demand. HVAC stands for heating, ventilation and air-conditioning, which is self explanatory. To become an expert HVAC technician, you will have to find good HVAC training schools that allow students in both hands on and classroom training.
Featured HVAC Schools
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln College of Technology. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus
- Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- HVAC Technician
- Heating and Air Conditioning
- HVAC and Refrigeration - Diploma
- HVAC and Refrigeration - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
If you want to be an HVAC expert, it is necessary to get proper certification. A certification helps you to qualify for both commercial and residential HVAC repair and maintenance work. Completing the classes and passing the state-mandated certification exam takes 6 months to 2 years. The Environmental Protection Agency or EPA, the National American Technicians Excellence or the NATE holds the right to provide certification courses in HVAC.
Training and education
Good HVAC training schools make subject come alive. The education process includes-
- Working with electronic and pneumatic systems using HVAC techniques
- Using simulated work environments for training
- Hands-on training on small, medium and large-scale heating, refrigeration and air conditioning systems
- Preparing various competency exams and HVAC certifications
As a prospective technician, you will be trained in handling following tools used in this work-
- Power drills — Electric drills, Hand drills, Cordless drills
- Flow meters — Air flow hoods, Pilot tubes
- Calipers — Vernier calipers
- Watt-meters — Watt transducers
- Pressure indicators — Gas pressure gauges, Magnetic gauges, Pressure simulators
- Air velocity and temperature monitors — Draft gauges; Velometers
- Levels — Precision levels, Bubble levels, Water levels, Laser levels
- Handheld thermometer —Temperature gauges; Handheld thermometers; Water temperature gauges
Knowledge tools offered
Most HVAC schools charge reasonable fees for the program. Tuition fees cover-
- Starter set of tools
- Comprehensive HVAC lesson book and study guides
- EPA Section 608 study guide issued by the ESCO Institute ($12.95 value)
- A gift voucher that covers some of the cost of writing the EPA Section 608 certification exams at the ESCO Institute location nearest you
- Student Community participation
- Career Services that help in apprenticeships and recruitments
The students learn about the following subjects-
- Equipment design
- Mechanical drawing
- Installation of machines
- Machine maintenance and repair
Types of experts
You can choose your area of expertise and get desired certification. HVAC training schools train all kinds of technicians who are specialized in a certain field of work. There are four types of HVAC experts. –
Type 1- Technicians that would serve small domestic appliances like washing machines, boilers, geysers and washing machines
Type 2- Certification is offered to technicians that are in service and disposal maintenance of residential and commercial air conditioners and refrigerators
Type 3- These technicians use low-pressure refrigerants for their job criteria.
Type 4- A universal certification is necessary for people who specialize in multiple areas of the HVAC industry.
Intensive online classes
You can attend HVAC training at your convenience. Study in your convenience time and customize the financial assistance needed to fulfill the course. Graduates of online HVAC training schools receive a personalized diploma. You will be ready to start as an apprentice, work as a contractor, work for a franchise, or start your own business and move forward in the HVAC profession. High school graduates in America are deviating from the normal, predictable education route. Earlier they would take a university degree that would last around 4 years. Due to the recent recession, more people hesitate to spend time and money in four year course in colleges, when there is no job assurance in an economic depression. In HVAC training program, students learn to work hands-on with all types gadgets and gizmos for technical inspections, analysis, repairs and replacements that are used in commercial and residential premises. These programs teach individuals on how to troubleshoot mechanical situations. They learn to use HVAC equipments to find problems such as burners, thermostats malfunctioning and carbon dioxide leaks. After graduation, the schools offer assistance in job searches with career advice and counseling.
Subjective knowledge acquired
HVAC training schools offer complete training and education to prospective technicians in the following fields-
- Engineering and Technology — Learn about scientific application and use of modern technology. It applies various principles, techniques, equipments and procedures in production and design of different goods and services.
- Computers and Electronics — Gain knowledge of chips, circuits boards, processors, electronic equipment and software and applications and computer programming
- Mechanical — Learn how to handle machines and tools usage, design, repair and maintenance
- Building and Construction — Acquire detailed knowledge of tools, materials and methods used in construction and repair of roads, houses, buildings and highways
- Mathematics — Knowledge of geometry, arithmetic, algebra, calculus, statistics and their applications
- Physics — Learn about physics theories, principles and laws; their interrelationships and applications. Understand the nature of fluids, materials, and atmospheric dynamics. Learn about sub- atomic, atomic, electrical and mechanical processes and their structures
- Administration and Management — Gather knowledge of principles in strategic planning, production methods, business and management, leadership technique human resources modeling, resource allocation and coordination of different resources.
- Public Safety and Security — Gather knowledge of relevant policies, related equipments, procedures and strategies that promote effective security operations in order to protect property information, people and institutions
Objective of certifications
There is a strategic alliance between technical schools and colleges and accreditation boards that provide top quality HVAC training schools in the United States. Regardless of the location of your residence, degrees and diplomas can be earned easily from on-line or on site HVAC training schools accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). The main objective of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning/refrigeration certificate program is to educate students in repair, safety and troubleshooting skills at entry-level positions in RHAC industry. The curriculum involves lectures, discussions and extensive lab experience with real life RHAC equipments. These programs educate students to train and work on various types of tools, equipments and instruments commonly used in field work. The other benefit of training in these programs is to prepare you for the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute (ARI) EPA Technician Certification Exam. Employment opportunities for heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning (RHAC) service are projected to grow much faster than average according to the U.S. Department of Labor. Those who are certified with apprenticeship training from accredited HVAC training schools have better job prospects.
There is a multitude of professionals who work in various technical and mechanical jobs. They are certified from different programs offered in HVAC training schools that train them to perform their job efficiently and pertain to the approved policies and procedures.